Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Proud To Be An American




For the first time in my adult life I am proud to be an American! Last night was probably one of the five most memorable events in my life. It is right up their with my first date with my husband, our wedding, and the birth of my two children. Why, you ask? Because I watched the dawning of a new age, the first step of the country I love becoming a country to truly be proud of!

Last night I sat on my couch with my mom and two cuties watching on my laptop MSNBC (we are going without tv) the election coverage. My husband was at work watching the coverage with his co-workers. Theo my 7 year old son who has been doing his part to campaign for Obama for the last year was dancing around singing "Yes We Can." (You should hear some of the park conversations he has had about the state of the country. That boy is too funny sometimes.) Well, here we are at the point of no return the states are being called....no way Pennsylvania, could it be real. Obama/Biden won Pennsylvania!!! Until that point I hadn't realized how worried I really was, that horrible knot in my stomach finally loosened. Once we won Pennsylvania I knew we Won!


Obama campaigned with a message of change and hope and that is exactly what I feel. As a country we are poised for change and I am so hopeful for the coming years. We as citizens, as people, as friends, and as families have an obligation to make change happen, to strive for greatness and reach our goals of environmental stability, equality, the economy, healthcare for all, and peace. I say to you, "Yes We Can!"

As overjoyed I am with the victory in the presidential election, I am embarrassed and sadden that in this day and age that Ballot Measure California Proposition 8: Ban on Gay Marriage won. This is the first time in our history as a Country that we have taken away a right. We have come so far and yet it is not far enough. So to take a quote from our President Elect's running mate and our Vice President Elect Joe Biden, "When you get knocked down, Get up!" Proposition 8 has knock us down and as a State I say "Get Up!" We need to fight for the rights of everyone to have the ability to marry.

Thank you to all of those who voted and worked on so hard to make this happen for all of us. I thank you for the promise of hope for myself, my family and most of all for my children. President Elect Obama and Vice President Elect Biden I am here and ready for change I promise to be one of the many proud Americans to work hard and do my part as a citizen for these United States. Just Ask! :)

No comments: