Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Little Leap Forward


My son Theo and I decided to spend the afternoon reading Little Leap Forward together.
This was one of the best ideas we have had lately :) Snuggled up together in the backyard we read the first 5 chapters of Little Leap Forward. My son is 7 and my daughter is 3 it can be hard to meet both of their needs at the same time. It worked out beautifully Gabbie (below) played and listened and Theo was able to just snuggle and read with me.
Gabbie although you wouldn't think it was paying close attention to the story.
She would come over to look at the pictures and than run off.
She really liked that the part about the kites, the Chinese characters for kite mean "wind" and "bamboo struggle." Gab thinks wind bamboo struggle is very funny and has been saying it over and over again while explaining that she is speaking Chinese, lol!

Here are Theo's thought so far about Little Leap Forward.
-It is good!
-Little Leap would make a good friend, I would want to play with him.
-His mom seems nice and it is sad that his father died.
-The pictures are great!



For me Little Leap has been a new journey of discovery, I must admit that China and Chinese history is a complete mystery to me. The illusions to communism and the struggle Little Leaps family is having to survive are masterfully written. This is one of those books that everyone should read.

No comments: